March 29, 2024, 12:05:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 1.4 Pre-Release available for download  (Read 15583 times)

ASch

Re: 1.4 Pre-Release available for download
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 02:03:58 pm »
Oh, take that back about preset sounds - just noticed that all the effects had been removed from the stadiumMg preset by the update...

Andreas

bigbrass

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 02:31:41 pm »
OK, something strange is going on...
Some patches just "fizzle out" after a few seconds, and you can't hear the sound until you change the preset. To be specific, It happened with SuperSaw examples posted on presets and templates zone : http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=5724.0
The first preset from the group seems to be ok, but others fade away after a few seconds and you can't retrigger the sound.
I also have a preset I've been working on that makes a crackling noise when the joystick is moved. The joystick controls the cutoff and resonance settings. I can't say if that was also happening before with 1.3.5 though...
As far as the FX, yes, it does seem that the settings have changed somehow.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:42:10 pm by bigbrass »

ASch

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »
Also noticed that even with multieffects disabled I get effects being applied in Multi mode and I can'd see where they're coming from! So, for example, I have a prog with chorus and reverb but no echo (it's a simple mod of heavenly guitar). Plays fine as a single program.  Load it into a multi and suddenly it has an echo on it, but there are no multieffects enabled...

Sorry, I'm going back to 1.3...

Andreas

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »
Hi Philippe,

Have you any idea what's going on here with those problems all of us have encountered? I can understand that new FX system can mess up presets but what about those crackles or sounds going suddenly silent or having less polyphony? These sound quite serius problems...

P

Philippe

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:16 pm »
I'm on vacation for the week so it's not easy for me to diagnose your problems because of course I don't have an Origin with me.

Maybe some words about the new MULTI_FX mode vs the "old" one (let's call it SLOT_FX):
- obviously, when in SINGLE mode, everything run (or should run) exactly the same way as in 1.3.50
- when in MULTI mode and SLOT_FX (everything appears greyed in the Multi -> FX page) everything run (or should run) exactly the same way as in 1.3.50. The slots comes in the multi with their effects. EAch slot may own up to 3 effects.
- when in MULTI mode and MULTI_FX (everything appears coloured in the Multi -> FX page) then all the effects and their parameters are part of the multi, and none of these effect settings are saved in the slot. The slot itself is unchanged, that means that when you switch back to the SLOT_FX mode, then the effects programmed in the slot show up. When you switch to the MULTI_FX mode, then all the effects are replaced by those programmed in the multi. In MULTI_FX each slot owns 2 effects connected in serial, 2 effects are global AUX fx, and 2 more effects are global MASTER fx.
- when you load a 1.3.50 multi preset, then the effects programmed in the slots become the effects that will be saved in the multi. Any change made here are saved in the multi and leave the slot presets unchanged.
- when you switch to MULTI_FX, the FX1 and 2 of the slots are connected in serial and they keep their settings. The slot FX3s are discarded. The 4 global FX are empty (or Bypass). Then you can choose to load effects in the AUX and MST locations.
- the settings of the FX1 and 2 of each slot are shared between the SLOT_FX and the MULTI_FX mode.

On my laptop computer I have a simulator of Origin. On this simulator I can reproduce the bug of M0010 which looses its FX settings, but this occurs only when it is loaded as a slot in a multi. It occurs also with some other presets but not all. I'll have a look at it asap.

I cannot check what's going wrong with the SuperSaw presets because the simulator cannot work with a sound bank but with individual files such as those used by the real hardware. I'd be interested to know if this happens when the presets is loaded in SINGLE mode or in MULTI mode (on a slot). An also what are the SERIAL/PARALLEL settings in the Program page.

About the crackles with the joystick I cannot reproduce that with the simulator. It may happen on the machine but  it didn't when I played with the joystick the day I posted this version (last friday). I'd need more precise information and data. The best thing to do in that case is to send me the preset showing the problem.

Concerning the VoiceModulator: it is designed to change the output variation when a note ON is received. This is how it works within the OBSem and the module has been ported from that soft synth. Using the Sequencer step changes to trig a variation change would make the VoiceModulator a totally different kind of module. It would indeed be redundant with the Sequencer itself. Anyway I'll ask the guys who "invented" this module their mind about it.

And finally (for this post at least), if you notice a change on the sound on some preset, please send it to me even if it is a factory preset. It may have been changed and possibly corrupted if you saved it under the new 1.4. firmware. And the best would be to have the 2 versions of the preset if that makes sense. I mean the version before the update (should be in the backup) and the one after the update.
Origin Lead  Developer

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 09:59:30 am »
Too bad I don't have two Origins, one running 1.3 other 1.4, to really check these issues...  ;)

Switching OS and comparing presets isn't very easy. Anyway I had a very short time with 1.4 so now it's hard to tell very liably, but I think the problems are in Multi mode. If anybody still have 1.4 I would also like to hear that are those problems also in Program mode?

And to Philippe: have your vacation without too much thinking about these issues...!

ASch

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 09:10:06 am »
I disagree that adding extra trigger inputs to the VoiceProcessor would make it redundant wrt the sequencer.  The VP has multiple output sets.  If it could be triggered from an LFO that would make it a powerful modulation source...

But, as JacksonP said, enjoy your holiday, don't think about this stuff!

Andreas

Philippe

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 08:46:06 am »
I disagree that adding extra trigger inputs to the VoiceProcessor would make it redundant wrt the sequencer.  The VP has multiple output sets.  If it could be triggered from an LFO that would make it a powerful modulation source...

Andreas

No closed door.... I'm taking note of your feature request and I'll forward it to our product manager. Adding a TRIG input is easy, but in your case I should also add an extra parameter that tells the module to go to the next variation out when a NOTE_ON happens, or when a TRIG happens. As you can see looking at the VoiceProcessor GUI that there's not many room to draw it.
Origin Lead  Developer

chimpy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 12:16:16 pm »
Philippe,
I have installed 1.4 onto my Origin Keyboard and have noticed something strange but am unsure whether I have misunderstood what is happening or the software has a bug.
I have a patch with a long sustaining note and a slow 16 step sequence on Sequence 1 connected to trigger the Oscillators (Sequence 2 & 3 are not connected).
Sequencer Step 1 is switched on (and it's light is on), steps 2-16 are switched off (lights are off) to not trigger the Oscillators.
If steps 2-16 are switched off and all their encoder parameters are at 0 then no sound is heard except the correct one triggered by step one, but if I move any of encoders 2-16 to anything other than 0 then the oscillators are correctly not triggered but the envelope is, which can be clearly heard because the Step one note is still sustaining.
Is this a bug, or am I operating the sequencer incorrectly?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

aye_carrrumba

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 11:04:19 pm »
i have the startup tempo set for 80, but it always comes up 120 no matter what program i use. it worked fine in ver 1.3. just beta testing, and playin around.

ASch

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:23 pm »
Hi Chimpy,

If I am understanding you correctly, the behaviour is the same with the sequencer under v1.3 too. 

If the sequencer trigger is off for a step, then no trigger is sent, but the value of the step is still sent, causing pitch changes.  This surprised me, I had assumed that if the trigger was off for a step, then no information would be sent at all for that step.  It seems like turning the trigger off for a step is similar to having a slide into a step.

After thinking about it for a bit, I can kind of see why it might be logical for the sequencer to behave like this, but overall it seems to me to be a bug, or at least unwanted behaviour.

Andreas

chimpy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 12:01:46 pm »
Thanks Andreas,
I couldn't recall whether the same behaviour occurred in V1.3, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone in thinking it a bit odd.
Chimpy.

Philippe

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »
This is the expected behavior. I'd think that this is consistent with the rationale behind the Origin Sequencer. Origin attempts to emulates a real analog step sequencer. On a real hardware (and Origin is a real hardware  ;)) you would use a cable and connect the STEP output of anyone of the 3 tracks to some modulation input. If you needed one of the 3 TRIG output, you would proceed the same way and connect a 2nd cable to some trig input in your patch. There's no reason for the analog step signal to be active because there's a trig enabled for the step. Moreover, if it were working the way you suggest we would have to enable the trig on each step to get all the steps active.

What you may be missing is a "mute" option that would enable you to mute a single step.

Or maybe it's me who is missing something here?  :)
Origin Lead  Developer

ASch

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 10:37:07 pm »
Yes, I think a step mute option is what some of us feel is missing  :)

Andreas

holografique

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 11:33:38 pm »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines