March 28, 2024, 07:21:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Thin Gritty & Distorted  (Read 2642 times)

CC4

• Beta-testers
Thin Gritty & Distorted
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:18:13 pm »
I've been designing some presets in Oberheim SEM V to share and I've encountered some strange behavior on a couple of instances now.  I've found that after several hours of usage as a VST inside FL Studio, while browsing through several presets, eventually the whole synth becomes thin, grtty, and distorted sounding.  You can even visually see this grit that's introduced on an oscilloscope.

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Thin Gritty & Distorted
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:28:39 pm »
Hi Chuck,
this is part of the analog emualation ;).
More seriously, can you send me some audio examples of this?

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:19 am »
Well, I wanted to do a screen capture but I currently cannot seem to figure out how to use Microsoft Expression to capture the sound output.

But yes;  Next time it happens I will capture the sound for you.  It's happened to me twice after a couple hours of usage as a VST in FL Studio when browsing through presets.  It's weird.

JDoo

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 05:35:48 am »
I am having the same issue with a few sounds. 

I heard some great SEM strings on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_n2ctb40B8 and opened up my SEM to load the patch.  N. Ubukata - Strings - NU_StringMachine_ST

I get a very crackly sound from this patch.  I made a quick mp3 of the sound in case you cannot reproduce the problem on your end.  If you give me your email address, I would be happy to send it to you.

I am running Oberheim SEM V 1.1.0 build 33093 ( 32 bit Version)
Build date: Feb 12 2012  18:42:56

JDoo

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:17:40 am »
Thought I would answer my own question. :)  It wasn't NU_StringMachine.. but NU_Expressive_ST - both in the video, and crackling in my SEM.  I opened the top portion of the SEM, and under the Chorus settings found that "Noise" was set on??  Clearly, it isn't set 'on' in the video, and turning it off - gives the sound the nice non-crackly textures in the video.

Problem solved for me.  But,  I am wondering why that setting would be set to noise, for this patch.  Feels like a mistake.  anyway -- if anyone runs across a patch that seems to have crackles and noise in their SEM... first place i would look is in the upper section under Chorus, making sure that it is set to "SINUS" not "NOISE"

cheers

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines