March 19, 2024, 02:48:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minibrute arrived: issues I've noticed.  (Read 11471 times)

curbsitter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Minibrute arrived: issues I've noticed.
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:32:26 am »
I have my minibrute and I've noticed some issues. some functional, some cosmetic, some both. My unit has been updated to the 1.0.1 firmware.

1) My pitch wheel functions it the sense that it rolls upwards and downwards the full throw of the pot in both directions but only affects the pitch in the downwards direction, and even then only when I dime the pitch wheel does it jump to whatever value the Bend Range  knob is set to. When i control it from an external midi keyboard I get it to read midi pitch bends with no problem though. It has to be an issue with either the pitch bend pot or somewhere further down the line.

2) the silkscreening of the saw/ramp on the LFO is backwards. (These things happen ;) When I have the lfo affecting any parameter assignable and it is in the positive section of the -/+ modulation pot the LFO goes from high to low, the opposite of what the upward running low to high ramp is showing as the silkscreened waveform. when I turn the knob to the  negative half of the pot it then affects the paramentes as it should be shown on the LFO knobs waveform.

3) This has been covered already but I'd like to add my unit to the list: the Filter -/+ pot in the LFO section does NOT affect the filter cutoff when the filters cutoff knob is all the way counter clockwise. I have to rotate it almost to the noon position before the LFO filter knob has ANY affect what so ever. even then the window that is usable is shorted from the entire throw of the filter -/+ pot. This is for every waveform. Both with the Mod wheel set to "LFO amount" fully raised and not set to it.

There has to be some sort of software or resistor values not meeting in the middle as they should.

Arturia, please reply and let me know what to do about any (and hopefully) all of these issues! I'd rather not take the unit back to the store as I'm enjoying it too much minus those small issues!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:42:14 am by curbsitter »

kingnimrod

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Minibrute arrived: issues I've noticed.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:24 am »
1) Mine works fine. Sounds like there's something wrong with yours. Try just a simple square wave with no filter or modulation with the bend range turned up and see if you still have the problem.

2) The wave shapes on my LFO are accurate. Sounds like yours may be out of spec

3) The filter in the LFO section affects mine throughout the cutoff range.

If you're accurately describing your problems, it sounds like you have a faulty unit.

curbsitter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:42 am »
yeah buddy, no dice in ANY arrangement on the pitchbend wheel.

described accurately, but thanks for your suggestions. I've got a second one I had pulled from a store a state over coming on Friday so I'll be able to A-B the two.

To everyone out there who can't seem to find one let alone another to compare I truly apologize. I was lucky enough to be in contact with the right Guitar Centers in Los Angeles to have my phone called when they arrived and now have a second unit shipped to the same store to *fix my problems.

*hopefully, fix.

Filip

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:44:48 am »
That's why they released it so late!
So that everybody can have issues with the minibrute.
 :-*

curbsitter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:49:43 am »
I was able to swap out my defective minibrute yesterday.

No more pitch bend issues.

The LFO affects the filter far more in this unit than the first unit.

The Saw waveform on the LFO is still a Ramp. So if the only thing wrong is a mislabeled silkscreening, I'm fine with that.

zerocrossing

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:24:05 pm »
Yeah, now I'm feeling stupid.  Instead of swapping my defective unit out (won't respond correctly to aftertouch via midi) I submitted a bug which went unanswered.  Today I checked up on it after weeks of nothing, and found they just closed the bug.  Well, now I know what people were talking about when they said Arturia had horrible support.

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:40:18 am »
curbsitter,
ok I'm too late to help you on this.... sorry I have spent a lot of time in China to speed up the production.
Just to let you know, and it may help other MiniBrute owners too:
1) My pitch wheel functions it the sense that it rolls upwards and downwards the full throw of the pot in both directions but only affects the pitch in the downwards direction, and even then only when I dime the pitch wheel does it jump to whatever value the Bend Range  knob is set to. When i control it from an external midi keyboard I get it to read midi pitch bends with no problem though. It has to be an issue with either the pitch bend pot or somewhere further down the line.
It looks to be only a factory calibration issue. If so, it can be easily fixed using a specific software, that is not released yet to end users.

2) the silkscreening of the saw/ramp on the LFO is backwards. (These things happen Wink When I have the lfo affecting any parameter assignable and it is in the positive section of the -/+ modulation pot the LFO goes from high to low, the opposite of what the upward running low to high ramp is showing as the silkscreened waveform. when I turn the knob to the  negative half of the pot it then affects the paramentes as it should be shown on the LFO knobs waveform.
Indeed silkscreening is inverted. I had to do an electronic modification on the LFO waveforms, during a late stage on the project. One of the drawback was to have the saw inverted. It was unfortunately too late to change the silkcreening....

3) This has been covered already but I'd like to add my unit to the list: the Filter -/+ pot in the LFO section does NOT affect the filter cutoff when the filters cutoff knob is all the way counter clockwise. I have to rotate it almost to the noon position before the LFO filter knob has ANY affect what so ever. even then the window that is usable is shorted from the entire throw of the filter -/+ pot. This is for every waveform. Both with the Mod wheel set to "LFO amount" fully raised and not set to it.
This one sound like a hardware issue, one resistor may have a too high value. I would be very interested in having the name and address of the shop you returned the machine to. I need to contact them to fix it this them. Can you please PM me with the contact?
Thanks

@zerocrossing: As told on your main thread about aftertouch, I reopened and will check today your case that was mistakenly closed. Sorry about that again...

Bruno
Hardware Design

Bruno
Arturia Hardware

dalasv

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:44:17 am »
I just received a Minibrute and am also experiencing strange behavior with the pitch bend wheel. Sometimes it doesn't respond at all, other times the response is not consistent. Also, when the pitch wheel isn't responding, the mod wheel affects the pitch by a small amount.

Was the "calibration tool" ever made available to end users?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines