March 28, 2024, 11:11:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!  (Read 2466 times)

ssiegert12

PLEASE HELP ME!
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:15:46 am »
Okay, I love this synth but theres something thats been bugging the hell out of me lately. I use oberheim sem v with ableton. When i am sound designing, I usually don't use my midi keyboard because it takes up a lot of space. I prefer to use the keyboard on my laptop. However; there is a problem when I do this. I have to click on the synth itself every time after i change a parameter in order to be able to play the patch. This is extremely frustrating because it slows my workflow.

HELP! PLease

Zip oLeighter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:22:39 am »
This sounds like an issue of "focus", i.e. in order for the keyboard commands to be directed to the keyboard, the window with the keyboard in it ( or is the application that is giving you the ability to play midi notes with your laptop keyboard) has to have the focus, or be the "selected" window.  I am assuming that your keyboard is in ableton, so when you tweak parameters in oberheim SEM the focus goes to SEM (even if you are using your mouse only - focus is usually determined by mouse clicks, but the keyboard input goes with it).

It is even possible that focus can be directed to submenus or dialogs within an application, away from the main window, or a separate window that controls the keyboard to midi action.

I have this same issue in Reason, I haven't ever found a workaround.  It is kind of deeply ingrained in the whole mouse-keyboard-multiple window paradigm, there is no way for an application to know when it could "steal" the focus. ( Imagine ableton having to decide that you were done editing in SEM and suddenly taking away your keyboard input while you were entering data.) I think it might even be almost impossible to write an application (in this case SEM) that would automatically release focus to the previous application. The only thing I could imagine is if there were NO alpha key use in a program that it could "defocus"...

I realize that I don't know if any Arturia synths recognize keyboard input to trigger notes....just checked Analog Lab and Modular V, seems they are only mouse trigger.    Seems like Arturia could add this feature, and just disable it during dialog text or numeric entry.  Sure would be nice for exactly the application you're talking about here.

I recommend the Korg Nano key mini USB controller, this thing fits in my laptop bag and actually sits on the front of my laptop in front of the keyboard (covering the touchpad but I also use a Microsoft Explorer wireless USB mouse that I also highly recommend).  The mouse has a thumb button that opens up a magnifier window, this way I can run in high resolution and still read the fine print on the synth panels! 8)  Cheers, Zip O'

Adrien

Re: PLEASE HELP ME!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:45 am »
This sounds like an issue of "focus"
I realize that I don't know if any Arturia synths recognize keyboard input to trigger notes....just checked Analog Lab and Modular V, seems they are only mouse trigger.    Seems like Arturia could add this feature, ...

This is a very good answer, And yes indeed sadly we don't support this feature (and I guess you are right, none of our plug-ins does)
This is a good feature request althought, we will consider it.

(PS you could use a minilab, it is cheap (99$) comes with analog lab (and 5000 vcollections presets) and oberheim will well integrate with it)

Best
Adrien Courdavault
DSP & Software engineer
Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines