March 28, 2024, 09:31:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Tap Tempo  (Read 7951 times)

Benjamin AM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Tap Tempo
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:01:48 pm »
I am committed to purchasing a Beatstep but I was curious if there was a way to implement tap tempo without a laptop. I play live and find it impractical for the rest of the band to adjust tempo according to one piece of hardware.

vegradd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Tap Tempo
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »
Good suggestion!

ednolbed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • my sounds
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:32 am »
Yes, Tap Tempo would be so useful. For some reason I actually assumed it was there. I thought I saw it in one of the demo vidz. Alas! How wrong I was.

crony

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:57:14 am »
+1 :)

flux302

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:59:34 pm »
+1 much needed

axelfagerberg

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 04:13:19 pm »
+1

jessdub1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:46:36 pm »
please please please add this.

also, I think it would be amazing to be able to put in finite tempos using the pads. 1-9 plus 10 = 0 would allow you all the numeric values you needed to put in your tempo. then you could just use the rotary encoder to nudge it back and forth into place.

GnollinZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 04:56:14 pm »
I agree - some way of setting the tempo and/or a way of viewing the current tempo from the hardware is essential.

gian

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:28 am »
+1  ;)
AudioFuse 8Pre, Beatstep Pro, iMini, iSEM & iProphet

JST

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 04:19:41 pm »
+1

mackie

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:53:21 pm »
I totally agree, tap tempo and current tempo information in MCC is essential!

Benjamin AM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 06:29:15 pm »
Despite not having a Tap Tempo function, I made the purchase. I am very impressed with this unit. The firmware upgrade v1.1 was a (beat)step in the right direction. I only hope that tap tempo will be included in the next update. Here is my suggestion on how to implement this function. Hold Shift + Sync to bring you into Tap Tempo mode. One of the pads will blink to indicate clock speed. Tap the pad three or more times to change clock speed. Release shift + sync will take you back to sequence mode. The beatstep will keep this speed until tempo in manually changed by additional tap tempos(shift+sync) or big knob tempo change. It would nice to be able to do this on the fly, that is, while the sequencer is running and also retain the ability to change clock divisions. That's my 2 cents.

gian

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 11:14:44 am »
+1
AudioFuse 8Pre, Beatstep Pro, iMini, iSEM & iProphet

sin night

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:39:43 am »
If I were to implement tap tempo on the beatstep, I would consider using use the start and stop buttons (maybe while holding shift?). If in play mode, I would use the play button, otherwise the stop button.

In order to avoid the shift button, I would add a threshold so you enter the tap tempo mode by hitting the button a few consecutive times in a reasonable time (the first 3 or 4 hits are discarded - they are required to enter the tap tempo mode - then the following hits are used to calculate the tempo). To exit tap tempo mode, you would have to wait a reasonable amount of time without any hits (let's say something like 5 seconds?) or press the other transport button (so, if you are in play mode and you're tapping the tempo by pressing play, if you hit stop you would both stop the sequence and exit the tap tempo mode).
I think this way it's easier to tap the tempo, since you don't have to hold down any additional button, you can keep the other hand free to do something else. The drawback is that you need a few more hits to set the tempo. Probably this approach is best while playing.

Benjamin AM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 04:36:22 pm »
Well, I shot an email over to the Arturia technical department regarding this subject. They responded: "We cannot provide a specific date, but this feature will be implemented." Sounds promising.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines