March 28, 2024, 10:26:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: "Failed to open the device" Cannot SYNC  (Read 39636 times)

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: "Failed to open the device" Cannot SYNC
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 12:42:37 pm »
HI all , ill try and help if i can as i know a bit about macs . first i need to know if beatstep is working at all on your mac .best way to do this is plug in beatstep and go to your apple sign in the top left hand corner and press about mac ,then more info, then system report, then hardware/usb.
can you see beatstep in the usb hub? if so this is good there a correct connection. if not try a different usb2 lead not a usb one.
i'm guessing you have tried unplugging all other devices and only using the beatstep .

let me know if this helps and we can take it from there.

regards

Terrym

ps this is osx only guys
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

geargab

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 09:10:47 pm »
I am having this same "failed to sync" problem on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) running OSX 10.9.2

I did connect to a Windows 7 computer and it worked perfectly. I was able to upgrade to the current Firmware and upload sequences that I had in memory.

Back on my Mac, the BeatStep does show up in the USB port but still does not pass any information to/from the MIDI Control Center. Also I do not see the BeatStep in the MIDI Studio of the Mac's System Preferences.

I have attached my System Report below.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:42 pm »
Hi are you using the latest midi control centre software 1.1.0. do you plug in the beatstep before opening mcc .have you tried changing the device then go back to beat step. does it say connected?
you say its not showing up in midi studio  make sure you expand the screen as it could be off the screen.
if theres no connection have you checked your permissions in disk utility to see if its being blocked due to bad permissions

let me know

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

geargab

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 12:04:03 am »
We are starting to get somewhere Terry!

I expanded the Midi Studio and I did find it listed as USB MIDI Device

MIDIControlCenter is version 1.1.0 and BeatStep is listed with a check mark as connected. Still when I try to sync or check firmware I get our "failed to sync" error.

I went into Utilities / disk utility but I'm afraid I don't really understand what to look for in the following:

have you checked your permissions in disk utility to see if its being blocked due to bad permissions

Thanks for all the help!

- Billy aka geargab

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:27 pm »
Hi, does it tell you what firmware you have for beatstep?
TerryM

JStorbeck

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:25 pm »
@gabriel chicoine, Ditto to everything in your post, I'm running a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina w/OS X 10.9.2 , 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 gigs of RAM.  Midi set up is not detecting the unit at all...

"I understand this is a new product and there will be some connectivity issues that need to be sorted out, but it's very frustrating to get a new piece of gear and have to spend several hours troubleshooting before even getting to use it. Especially since I've been waiting months for this thing to come out since the original launch date in March.  >:("

amen brotha...I'm gonna mess with it again tomorrow and if I can't get it working I'm returning the damn thing and saving my clams for a livid controller that I know will work.  :'(

geargab

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 05:58:33 am »
Terry.

"what firmware you have for beatstep?"

MIDI Control Center on my Mac does not tell me the firmware but when I hook it up to a Windows 7 computer I am able to get it.

I am on firmware version 1.0.1.4

Thanks again!

Billy aka geargab

geargab

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 06:19:22 am »
Terry and others,

I tried one more time with the tips from the Firmware update post  and now things are working! Here is a link to that post: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=82040.0

:)

I will check back tomorrow after I make sure that this properly fixed everything. For now I am able to Recall and Store sequences and change pad and know assignments.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Billy aka geargab

syrupcore

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 05:43:56 am »

(for my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.9.2) one USB socket did not recognize the BS and names in the "Audio MIDI Setup" the device as "Device MIDI/USB". The other one works fine (for me) and 'see' the BS device as "Beatstep Updater").

-plug the BS (holding START/STOP buttons).
-open MCC and "Audio MIDI Setup":
1) go to MCC and click button for Firmware Revision. MCC asks to locate firmware file, then it asks for unplug.
2) unplug the BS.
3) go to "Audio MIDI Setup" and remove the device named "Beatstep Updater"
4) go back to MCC, plug the BS (holding START/STOP buttons).
5) it works and you can sync.

This worked for me, thank you very much. OS 10.9.4, 13" MBP late 2011.

Neither of my USB ports saw the Beatstep as anything but "USB Device" until after I was successful using the instructions above. It worked fine a generic control surface into Logic, it just would communicate with the MCC. It saw it as 'connected' but wouldn't send, receive or update the firmware.

After the steps above, there is a "BeatStep Updater" device in AudioMIDI Setup. Working fine so I'm not messing with it!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:46:14 am by syrupcore »

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 12:03:59 pm »
I'm also having the "Failed to open device" syncing issue. I'm running a 2013 Mac Mini (quadcore i7) with OS X 10.9.2. Audio MIDI Setup doesn't find the device in any USB ports. I've tried all of the methods suggested in this forum (excluding trying a different computer, which is a total cop-out, guys). Different ports, rebooting, trying to reinstall the firmware (which also doesn't work, by the way). Please help!!

I understand this is a new product and there will be some connectivity issues that need to be sorted out, but it's very frustrating to get a new piece of gear and have to spend several hours troubleshooting before even getting to use it. Especially since I've been waiting months for this thing to come out since the original launch date in March.  >:(

Hi gabriel please check the audio midi setup again but scroll across the window to find beatstep .please see some of the other posts on this forum as there are  way to get your mac to see the beastep.

regards

terrym
TerryM

Marlowes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 09:37:15 pm »
Just as with my Spark - lots of trouble with Arturia stuff ... thought this product should be fixed by now ...

Running OS X 10.9.4 and it will not sync. Have tried most of the "remedies" on this matter, listed here, but no!  >:(

"Merde!"

Anyone successful on this OS version?  ???
Stage 2, Lead 2X, some Rolands, some guitars and computers ...

Blixten

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 10:02:51 pm »

No!

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 11:57:36 am »
Just as with my Spark - lots of trouble with Arturia stuff ... thought this product should be fixed by now ...

Running OS X 10.9.4 and it will not sync. Have tried most of the "remedies" on this matter, listed here, but no!  >:(

"Merde!"

Anyone successful on this OS version?  ???

Im on 10.9.4 and been beta testing the BS from the start and never had the sync problem you guys are having,
did you check your audio midi setup in osx and checked the system profile to see if the usb is shown up on your mac .
Have you ever done a permission / ACL reset from recovery startup?
in terminal.
this can solve where your mac system may have problems with permissions
try repair permissions first but only from a recovery start up first.
regards

terry

TerryM

Blixten

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 08:37:41 pm »
Now it's the year 2014 and I'm running Mac OS X.
Not Linux in 1996. Then I had to tweak and tweak everything.  ???

A product like this should be working at once without any problem at all today!

Like all my Nord stuff!  ;D

Marlowes

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 09:55:27 pm »

He, he ... exactly my opinion too!

Stage 2, Lead 2X, some Rolands, some guitars and computers ...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines