March 28, 2024, 06:17:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Knob encoder acceleration setting  (Read 48352 times)

Sonic Revolutions

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Knob encoder acceleration setting
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »
Seriously, politely and with all respect, is anyone at Arturia actually physically using/testing these beyond a simple twiddle to check they work ie checking things are actually physically and ergonomically practical and useful in the real world and across a range of products including their own? I don't want to whip a knob around just to accelerate it to do a one-turn 0-127, or do multiple stop/starts as I keep turning and turning the damned thing.... I want to do a single turn of my hand/wrist over 2 bars.

AMEN!

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 12:54:50 pm »
HI, whe way the knob accelerator works is if you turn the knob slowly you get a fine control and if you turn it fast you can get from 7 to 5 o'clock in one turn.
im not a programmer but i get this is a logarithmic control .
and if they make it even quicker the fine control would suffer.

lets wait and see what next when the next firmware out.

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Sonic Revolutions

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 01:37:48 pm »
Right, and when will that be? My Beatstep has been unusable for months now.
If I treated my customers like this I'd be fresh out of business!

niksliwerski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 10:29:44 am »
Sorry Terry, and again with all respect you don't have to be a programmer to know this sucks as it is. It's a physical controller and should be able to respond as analogous to the (Arturia) softsynth it's controlling. I have a nearly 10-yr old cheap Novation ReMote 25 that does it just fine, it's not rocket science. This part of Beatstep is basically torturous trying to use as it is and I'm looking at other controller options now, this is all packed up and heading to auction tonight. Was a nice idea but 'let's see what happens next ' is too vague time-wise (again) and poor customer relations to my ears. Thanks for trying though.

reflexibel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 12:41:26 pm »
Seriously, politely and with all respect, is anyone at Arturia actually physically using/testing these beyond a simple twiddle to check they work ie checking things are actually physically and ergonomically practical and useful in the real world and across a range of products including their own? I don't want to whip a knob around just to accelerate it to do a one-turn 0-127, or do multiple stop/starts as I keep turning and turning the damned thing.... I want to do a single turn of my hand/wrist over 2 bars.

Oh man i cant use this m...f Stepper for my live set. it is unusablke for months.
I have a great respect for the Ideas of your Products, but i think u should test your products from a live performer.

niksliwerski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2014, 09:56:03 am »
one last try before it goes, back from holiday and auction pics taken...has anything been done about the knob movement? I'd love to have 16 knobs that actually reflected, well....the movement of the knob

Sonic Revolutions

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:04 am »
Nope, got rid of mine last weekend.

niksliwerski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2014, 02:57:03 pm »
Thanks SR, what a shame and what a waste of money   :-[

reflexibel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 03:15:31 pm »
5 to 7 linear.....
wtp?
 ::)
i do not understand.... ???
this is not a rocket!

reflexibel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 01:36:58 pm »
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2243/beatstep-speeddialer

Max patch for Knobs encoder setting for Ableton Live

sinica

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »
So Arturia! Be reasonable !!!
Tell us, is there a solution? or you are preparing it? I am VJ an also can't use your devise normal !!!
It's a shame.

0x12d3@gmail.com

Knob encoder acceleration
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »
I was minutes away from pulling the trigger on the BeatStep on Amazon, when I found out about the know acceleration problem from the Amazon user reviews. The posts here are all over a month old.  Can anyone tell me from personal experience how well the encoders are currently working for them... or should I just steer clear?  Thanks

-D.

WattSekunde

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 06:04:06 pm »
FW 1.1.0.0 - The usability of the encoders are awful! There are three possible reasons.

First: The software who reads the encoder don't do it right. (software fix is possible)
Second: The electronic circuit is bad designed. (maybe a limited software fix is possible)
Third: The encoders are bad and cheap. (same as second)

The actual acceleration algorithm makes it more worse. One big help gives visual feedback and no acceleration setting. I use the MIDI Monitor feature from the mutable-instruments MIDIpal ( http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal) on the midi out to visualize some of the changes. This works nice but not in the important situations. It's nearly impossible to change a note precisely if a sequence is running.

gch1000@hotmail.com

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
A suggested fix
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:13 pm »
Hey Beatsteppers. I’ve found a solution to the Beatstep’s encoder problems that works to my own satisfaction. I’ll describe it in general and if anyone wants more details I can provide a more thorough explanation upon request. It does not require Max for Live, only two free MIDI utilities for Windows. So we all know that with the encoders in Slow mode, it takes way too many turns to sweep through the range of any parameter in Ableton, but the acceleration modes are super jumpy and unpredictable, rendering them useless. So all I was looking for was a way to multiply the single increment per detent to something like 2 or 3. Yes, this means that not every single value from 0-127 can be dialed in via the encoder, but for my purposes, half or a third of that resolution is sufficient. To accomplish this, you need to install Bome’s Midi Translator Classic Edition (which is nagware until you sent the developer a postcard!!!) and get it to translate the CC message coming from the Beatstep. In Relative 1 mode, the encoders send a value of 63 for each decrease and 65 for each increase, so you have to translate those values to something like 58 and 70 respectively to make the adjusted parameter change by increments of ~3. This means for 8 encoders you have to set up 16 translations because you have to account for each direction of rotation. Since the free version of Bome’s does not provide a virtual MIDI port with which to route its output to Ableton, I also used another utility called loopMIDI which receives the translated messages from Bome’s and can be selected in Ableton as an input port. Ableton’s encoder mode has to be set to Relative(linBinOffset) to respond correctly. Also, in Bome’s you have to have MIDI Thru checked and in Ableton you only accept input from the loopMIDI port, don't take input from the untranslated Beatstep and don’t output anything to the loopMIDI port. What’s great about this, for my purposes anyway, is that I like to use the Beatstep with a UserConfiguration.txt script in Ableton for ‘blue hand’ automatic mapping and a few other things, and this all works in conjunction with the translated encoder messages for better encoder response in the whole Ableton environment. This doesn’t affect Beatstep’s sequencer mode, so the encoders still move the note one up or down per detent. If you’ve used virtual MIDI ports before and are familiar working with Ableton’s MIDI settings, then this description is probably enough, but if you want more details I can expand on things or provide screenshots. Happy encoder-ing!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:09:54 pm by gch1000@hotmail.com »

djmental

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
still no response or new firmware from Arturia since last year ? Or "buy the Beatstep PRO" is their mplicit answer ?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines