March 28, 2024, 10:33:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A few questions about the beatstep  (Read 9580 times)

Lukeme9X

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
A few questions about the beatstep
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »
Ok, I don't yet own one, but its looking like I will be getting one soon, I just have a few questions about it.

1: Can it receive midi? Like for feedback purposes? Because then it might be possible to use it to emulate a launchpad and use it within FL.
2: Can you make the 16 encoders send as relative CCs instead of absolute, because I am working on a template for FL that means you can control any native or VST plugin like an ableton push, but using relative encoders would be better, so no "jumping" parameters.
(3: Polyphonic step sequencer/Multiple step sequencers? Can you do that? I'm assuming you can't.)

Thanks guys, I hope I will own one of these soon!

teceem

Re: A few questions about the beatstep
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:59 pm »
1. Yes
2. AFAIK, FL only does relative for supported controllers, and the Beatstep isn't in that list.
3. Not (Yet?)

Lukeme9X

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:28:01 pm »
2. AFAIK, FL only does relative for supported controllers, and the Beatstep isn't in that list.

What do you mean? Any controller can send any information to FL, relative or absolute, I checked the midi editor thingy and yep, relative or absolute, so thats all good. I can also use it - with the aid of BCFview - to emulate a mackie control unit, so yeah. Image-Line don't have to say they support a controller for it to work with FL. For example the X-Touch by behringer, no specific support, the LCD strips don't work, but everything else does.

(Why does everyone on the internet seem to be anti-FL?)

teceem

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:49 am »

What do you mean? Any controller can send any information to FL, relative or absolute, I checked the midi editor thingy and yep, relative or absolute, so thats all good. I can also use it - with the aid of BCFview - to emulate a mackie control unit, so yeah. Image-Line don't have to say they support a controller for it to work with FL. For example the X-Touch by behringer, no specific support, the LCD strips don't work, but everything else does.

(Why does everyone on the internet seem to be anti-FL?)
Don't be such a drama queen, FL studio is a popular DAW with many users.
http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-16-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905/16
For the third year running, MusicRadar users have voted FL Studio their favourite DAW.
I didn't say a controller has to be supported to be used in FL Studio, but often certain functions of certain controllers have to be supported to be able to use those functions. e.g. BCR2000: no bidirection feedback, MS20 controller: the patch cables don't work
I am not sure about the relative thing though. Also, I don't know why such a thing is needed - The beatstep has endless encoders without leds, shouldn't it always be relative? (as in: the encoders have no visible absolute position)
The midi implementation of FL Studio is different from most DAWs. Most obvious difference: no midi pass-through. No plugin or hardware will receive CCs directly from another input. (link to controller function is needed first)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:05:45 pm by teceem »

Lukeme9X

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 05:23:12 pm »
Sorry, for some reason you sounded anti FL haha

And anyway, no daw supports non native feedback, ableton only has feedback for the mixer and for racks, and a rack won't receive from a vst or any linked plugin, neither is there feedback for manual linking.

And I wanted relative because if they were set to absolute they would be internally absolute, so when I highlight a separate plugin the params would jump to what the encoder was last set to, even in makie mode.

Also the BCR2000 will receive feedback, but only after you change page, same thing for Livid stuff, APC and anything else set to its own port.

Also there is midi pass through, but the setup is weird, its to allow maximum flexibility, you link the CC per plugin to whatever input CC you want, so I have Massive set up to receive CCs 21-28 from my Launchkey but also CCs 400 and something from my APC, this is only possible by doing the weird linking stuff. You could also patch the midi port directly into the plugin with patcher, which is easier I guess... haha

teceem

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:37:52 pm »
And anyway, no daw supports non native feedback, ableton only has feedback for the mixer and for racks, and a rack won't receive from a vst or any linked plugin, neither is there feedback for manual linking.
What is "non native feedback"?
Also there is midi pass through, but the setup is weird, its to allow maximum flexibility, you link the CC per plugin to whatever input CC you want, so I have Massive set up to receive CCs 21-28 from my Launchkey but also CCs 400 and something from my APC, this is only possible by doing the weird linking stuff. You could also patch the midi port directly into the plugin with patcher, which is easier I guess... haha
CC linking to the internal controls is not midi pass-through. That patcher thing is new to me. Can it patch that midi port to a midi output port too?

Lukeme9X

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:56:32 pm »
What is "non native feedback"?
CC linking to the internal controls is not midi pass-through. That patcher thing is new to me. Can it patch that midi port to a midi output port too?

Non native feedback means linking something from a plugin directly to controller and expecting feedback, nothing does this, you have to go via a rack in ableton.

Yep, patch anything to anything else, insert midi plugins in between to change the midi you output! Anything!

Anyway, with FL 12 just released in alpha, I think we might be able to pressure gol into adding midi thru via an option, like clicking something in the option bar.

teceem

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:46:33 am »
Non native feedback means linking something from a plugin directly to controller and expecting feedback, nothing does this, you have to go via a rack in ableton.
Works for the Microtonic template I have in Lemur. In Microtonic, I just load the CC map for the template, and the Lemur controller reacts to what I do in Microtonic.

Lukeme9X

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:09:33 am »
Works for the Microtonic template I have in Lemur. In Microtonic, I just load the CC map for the template, and the Lemur controller reacts to what I do in Microtonic.

Thats different, that receiving CCs directly back from Microtonic.

teceem

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 09:53:06 am »
Ok, how about... Arturia Spark and it's controller? That works bidirectional too. Is that this "Non native feedback"? (I guess I still don't get it)

Lukeme9X

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:51 am »
Ok, how about... Arturia Spark and it's controller? That works bidirectional too. Is that this "Non native feedback"? (I guess I still don't get it)

No idea, I'll have to get one ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines