March 29, 2024, 12:02:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Anybody been able to run spark vdm with cakewalk sonar x1 daw  (Read 4204 times)

byrdy60

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
If you have been able to slave them how did you do it?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:48:09 pm by byrdy60 »

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
Re: Anybody been able to run spark vdm with cakewalk sonar x1
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:20:06 pm »
Are you using it as a VST plugin? If so it should sync automatically, if not there is a button at the top (Host I think it's called) which will sync it to your project.

If you trying to run both on the same computer and trying to sync standalone Spark to Sonar, I wouldn't advise this. For one thing you would need 2 asio drivers, and then you would need some sort of midi loop driver to send midi clock to Spark. It's a complex thing to achieve and I can't see any benefits over using the VST Plugin.

hope this helps!

byrdy60

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Anybody been able to run spark vdm with cakewalk sonar x1
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:52:50 pm »
Thanks for the great info I've been able to run them simultaneouly by using a asio4all  driver but iam going to try the plug in method you described so that the clocks sync. Mind you I've found that the daw sound quality has deteriorated since I've installed the asio4all driver looks like iam going to have to uninstall it my soft synths have a crackling background noise since this drivers been installed. The plugin method looks like the way forward I'll try it when I get home!

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
Re: Anybody been able to run spark vdm with cakewalk sonar x1 daw
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 03:22:37 pm »
Using it as a plugin is the expected way of working with it. As for asio4all if you have a dedicated asio driver for your soundcard that will perform better. The crackling is probably because your buffer settings are too low, the larger the buffer the more latency you get but it will allow more CPU intensive processing. It's a trade off of latency vs CPU power, if the CPU usage is too high for the buffer size, you will experience crackles :)

byrdy60

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:23:33 pm »
Hi kosmolgy I tried the plugin method to no avail sonar x1 essentials won't recognize spark vdm as a plugin and won't allow it to be imported into its system or  project which is really annoying but I suppose that's the price you pay when purchasing a budget daw. Iam through with cakewalk sonar now this has happened iam going to upgrade to cubase elements 7 at least I know it is compatible with arturia software and I've heard its operation supposed to be pretty solid an not prone to crashs an info loss. Any thanks for the info anyway cheers.

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:34:08 pm »
Sorry to hear that, I can't really comment on cakewalk but I don't think you will be disappointed with Cubase, elements is a very generous budget version and has an upgrade path to Artist should you need it. I'd give the 30 day trial a go to make sure it's for you though :)

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:53 pm »
I've just noticed that you can get X3 for just $29 at the moment, that might solve your Cakewalk problems? I've picked it up at that price just out of curiosity :)

byrdy60

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 06:57:50 pm »
Hi kosmology have you been able to run your vst3 on the sonar x3 you purchased?

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 07:21:08 pm »
No VST3 visible but the VST2.4 version works fine, although I might not have the vst3 version installed, I don't use VDM since I got the full Spark CDM. It was VDM that convinced me I needed the full thing though :)

Only had a quick play with Sonar, I find it a bit claustrophobic in comparison to Cubase, but it can maybe be customized. Still useful for testing my own plugins though.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 09:56:57 pm »
Hi kosmology have you been able to run your vst3 on the sonar x3 you purchased?

Hi as far as i know there is no vst3 for any of the spark products. only vst2.4

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

byrdy60

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
Hi kos,
I finally got vdm working I bought sonar x3 as well after seeing you got the same program as a tester the operation off getting spark to work wasn't straight forward though thank goodness you displayed a screenshot off yours working or I have never figured it out. I updated spark vdm to he lastest spec, updated sonar to x3e and moved the arturia file into the cakewalk program file because when I scanned for vsts vdm wouldn't show up before I moved it. Anyway I scanned again and vdm appeared in the vst instrument list and the rest is history. Thanks again for the great info it really helped and it saved me having to splash out on the cubase daw I was planning on getting which would have ment more bucks. Another thing you've some tasty analog plugin synths how do they sound compared to the originals and can you tweek the patchs?   

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 06:57:33 pm »
Hi kos,
I finally got vdm working I bought sonar x3 as well after seeing you got the same program as a tester the operation off getting spark to work wasn't straight forward though thank goodness you displayed a screenshot off yours working or I have never figured it out. I updated spark vdm to he lastest spec, updated sonar to x3e and moved the arturia file into the cakewalk program file because when I scanned for vsts vdm wouldn't show up before I moved it. Anyway I scanned again and vdm appeared in the vst instrument list and the rest is history. Thanks again for the great info it really helped and it saved me having to splash out on the cubase daw I was planning on getting which would have ment more bucks. Another thing you've some tasty analog plugin synths how do they sound compared to the originals and can you tweek the patchs?

Glad you got it sorted, for future reference you can add as many VST 2.4 paths as you want in the options so it will scan multiple directories, I think Cakewalk only uses it's own VST directory by default.

As for synths, I do own quite a lot but I am a sound designer and so they get used for that purpose more than music most of the time :) They all have their uses and different capabilities, but the synths I use the most these days are Largo, Alchemy, Zebra, Dune, and SEM V. All of the Arturia synths sound great as regards emulations, but there is a learning curve for some of them considering they have modeled some very complex Semi/Modular synths, sometimes when synthesizing for fun though I will open the ARP or Mg Modular, I've never been lucky enough to be anywhere near the real beasts :) I also use hardware synths a lot which lately has been the Analog Four, Evolver and a Mopho as well as my trusty old E-MU e6400 Ultra Sampler.

There are some great free VST synths out there too if you haven't tried any like TyrellN6, OBxd ( a personal fave) and Nabla (Korg Delta Emulation).

Out of the Arturia synths my faves are the Prophet, SEM and Jupiter which get loaded up the most from the V-Collection, mainly because they are quick to work with which is always important to me, SEM V is seriously good and sounds glorious!

Yes I am a synth addict, but the truth is that you are better off learning a few synths really well and once you do that you will always be able to make your own unique sounds, some synths will gel with you and others won't. If you are interested and  learn the basics of synthesis via tutorials etc.. you will never look back  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines