March 28, 2024, 03:54:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The ultimate synth?  (Read 17078 times)

Hotrock

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The ultimate synth?
« on: October 18, 2004, 05:36:47 pm »
I am a BIG fan of the MMV2. I find a use for it on just about everything I produce. Thanks Arturia.
But I see you are asking us for other great synths we would like you to emulate.
How about the synthesists dream? The ultimate virtual synth?
Make it truly modular with an emulation of every type of filter, oscillator, etc. from all the different manufacturers.
We want a Mg/Oberhiem/Korg/ARP/Yamaha/Roland etc but we want to mix and match the various components to make a truly unique sound.
We could buy the basic system with the option to buy a new module as and when they are developed etc. Buy the units we want, as and when we have the cash.
A truly hybrid modular monster (so to speak).
Who hasn't had this dream?
I believe Arturia have the knowhow.
Have they got the guts?
I hope so, as I believe it would it would be a very profitable winner for both Arturia and the end user.
I read once about the evils of drink.
So I've stopped reading

Anonymous

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 06:04:36 pm »
Hello Hotrock,

Thanks for your kinds comments about Arturia products. I think the idea of a big one is great but the interface would be very hard to use . Don't you think so ?

gUS - ARTURIA

Hotrock

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The ultimate synth?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 05:04:59 pm »
Actually no!

The hard part I think, would be getting the licencing of all the different manufacturers. Mg and Yamaha are already emulated by you so you're part way there already.

As with the MMV2, we can't have everything running at the same time, (most things but not all) but we have a choice of modules... and thats the crux.
We might (for instance) want to start with say, 2 Oberhiem oscillators alongside a couple of Mg oscillators with perhaps Yamaha or Nord filters with EMS or Doepfer ring modulator etc.
They each have there own characters which give them there unique sound, but with mix and match capability, a whole new range of uniqueness would be achieved. There would still be the possibility of having 'blanks' in the unit and the GUI needs to be no bigger than the MMV2.
True modular in a fantastic, innovative and unique unit.
Thats my dream anyway, but then, I'm greedy for big boys toys.
Admittedly, I am no programmer and therefore have no real concept of the technical difficulties that may have to be overcome but I have faith in the talent of the guys at Arturia.

Go on... you know you want it, the question is, can you do it?
Think of it as a potencially highly profitable challenge that could blow your competitors out into orbit:D
So I've stopped reading

doppelbock

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The ultimate synth?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 05:54:00 am »
while the idea of one massive "ultimate" synth from Arturia may be worthy of discussion and is a grteat idea (although hard to implement)....we already have the Mgs and the Yamaha.....

.....so....any chance of Arturia coming up with an Oberheim software synth next?  OB-8 or Matrix 12 (or some kind of hybrid)...would be a great addition to my arsenal!

Hotrock

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The ultimate synth?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 01:03:24 am »
I don't know how big Arturia is as a company, nor how many programmers work for them but, if a modular instrument such as the one I suggested is created, each time a new 'classic' is emulated, the technology/modeling could surely be implemented into new modules to add on to the 'ultimate'. I'm all in favour of an Oberhiem...and many other great instruments... but they are all 'old' sounds. I don't want to knock them, I love 'em all, I just think that a machine like this one could produce 'new' sounds, totally unique and incredibly versatile. Who else could do it if not Arturia?
So I've stopped reading

poropat

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 01:44:41 am »
Quote from: "doppelbock"
while the idea of one massive "ultimate" synth from Arturia may be worthy of discussion and is a grteat idea (although hard to implement)....we already have the Mgs and the Yamaha.....

.....so....any chance of Arturia coming up with an Oberheim software synth next?  OB-8 or Matrix 12 (or some kind of hybrid)...would be a great addition to my arsenal!

I agree 200%. After their arp2600v I think the most proper
would be an Oberheim matrix12 with an option to switch
VCO/VCF emulation between matrix12 and OBXa, but still keeping
functionalities of matrix12 which is a fantastic machine.
I own a real matrix12 but such vst I would buy anyway.
VCollection 8

drbach

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The ultimate synth?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 04:23:51 pm »
Quote from: "poropat"
After their arp2600v I think the most proper
would be an Oberheim matrix12 with an option to switch
VCO/VCF emulation between matrix12 and OBXa

Yes, that's it. Versatility from the Matrix12 and optional the sound and fatness from OBXa. I have an Xpander, but an Arturia AU-PlugIn, I would buy anyway.

Daniel, Xpander User

Man-Machine

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 11:54:26 pm »
How come no one has ever made an Oberheim VSTi yet? Licenses issues???  Oberheims have such a demanding sound. When you think of a 12db filter who is the first synthesizer it comes to mind? Last I heard either Gibson or Viscount had the logo rights...
L8er Osci8ers

omissis

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 02:18:18 pm »
Hi
Gibson didn't let Arturia use the Oberheim trade mark, and that's what it's all about :(

That's why I suggested an Elka Synthex Emulation : Elka is a sub.mark of Generalmusic Italy ,they don't happen to build a synthesizer since last '80s so I guess it could be easier to have that name...
And , most of all , a Synthex sounds waay better than an Oberheim  :wink: !
Max

a CS-80Vist

omissis

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 03:35:16 pm »
.....BTW , unless you compare it with an OBX (and NOT with an OBXa)  :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

MarkM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The ultimate synth?
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 07:49:00 pm »
Similar to a previous post, I would like to see a synth that is modular like the MMV2, but you could select different oscillators and other styles of filters.  It would be cool if you could substitute a Mg oscillator with a wave table or an Arp oscillator. Or you could select a PPG or Juno filter. But I think it is important to keep the routing out front like the MMV2. I find the menu or table-driven mod matrixes to be tedious and confusing.  I love the way you can look at the MMV2 and see how everything is patched together. Besides its sound, that is one of the unique strengths of the MMV2. I would like to see even more control of the sequencer.

omissis

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 10:20:06 pm »
Similar to a previous post, I would like to see a synth that is modular like the MMV2, but you could select different oscillators and other styles of filters. It would be cool if you could substitute a Mg oscillator with a wave table or an Arp oscillator

I think it's a hard thing to do...I had myself too such an idea but I ended IMO it would be useless...I think they should consider a serious improvement of their actual products for the moment......

To me A "new" thing could merge sampling and FFT additive synthesis with analogue multi filtering and multi-stadium envelopes....the ability to add aliasing or other artifacts and the abilty to manage things with analog style ( I mean a microtuning table to tune each single voice card and allowing different-from-equal tunings ). A light GUI and low CPU usage also.

What do you think of this ?
M
Max

a CS-80Vist

MarkM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The ultimate synth?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 10:36:38 pm »
A light GUi is a good idea. Anything to cut down on CPU. I like the idea of sampling and micro tuning.

omissis

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 10:38:46 pm »
I like the idea of sampling and micro tuning.

:oops:  8)
The microtuning table I proposed in a future improvement of my beloved CS-80V
Max

a CS-80Vist

omissis

The ultimate synth?
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 11:19:38 am »
Anyway....

Wavetable with 64 waveforms even user definable in time and formant (harmonics ) dominion, 8-op FM synthesis/resynthesis, sample import and time/formant editing, multistage envelopes, wave sequence, analog multi-filtering.....

.....basically a WALDORF WAVE ! :wink:  :wink:

[/img]
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines