April 23, 2024, 04:32:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Step resolution controls don't work when step on = gate  (Read 3845 times)

ishdag

Step resolution controls don't work when step on = gate
« on: May 23, 2014, 01:29:32 am »
Connected a volca beats to master clock the microbrute, works fine but only at 1/4 step. Cannot double/quaduple the speed of the microbrute sequence being played:

I have gotten the volca beats to drive the microbrute, however I am unable to have the microbrute sequencer double to 1/8 or 1/16 or 1/32. I am left with only slow quarter note sequencing and am trying to figure out how to at least double the sequencer timing to go twice as fast without simply using half the number of steps on the volca beats (or any external gate in).

I assumed changing the step counter in the connection software would double it like it does when there isn't something driving the microbrute, but it seems that when it is connected that the step counter is simply bypassed and it doesn't make a difference regardless.

Is this just not possible or am I missing something? Is it that the gate on the external drum machine can only advance steps at 1/4 ? I have seen some demos online of the two working together and it seems that the microbrute is playing much faster than I can get it to with the external volca beats sequencer.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Edit: Have most current firmware

lentoNinos

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Step resolution controls don't work when step on = gate
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »
I think that you are running into two hardware limitations.

I think that the MicroBrute gate length function only divides/multiplies based on midi or internal clock. I agree that it would be radical to have this also be possible with the incoming gate, but I'm not sure if this would be possible even with a software update. It is also a bummer because you can't sync/divide the LFO when synced to a trigger.

The reason that the MB sequence is running at half-tempo to the Volca Beats is because the Volcas (and monotribe) send one gate for every two steps. So, it is only sending 8 steps to the MB. I don't get why Korg did this with the Volcas, because it makes syncing with other gear a pain.

I found a couple workarounds for this(depending on what other gear you may have around).

At first I would make the Volca Keys my master clock and have it run double the tempo I wanted. Split the sync out of that, sending one cable to the MB and the other to a monotribe. The monotribe has a clock dividing setting that I'd turn on and then send the (now half tempo) sync signal to the Volca Beats. This would put the two in sync, but is obviously kind of ridiculous. It also left me still unable to sync the LFO.

I ultimately ended up adding midi-out to my Volca Beats. It was pretty simple. The only hard part is fitting the midi jack into the case. It wound up costing less than $5(just a midi jack and wire/solider). I wound up boring the hole with a pocket knife, which, surprisingly, gave clean results.

You could also use something else as a midi master clock and send midi to the beats and MB from there. But that can still be a pain because neither instruments have midi-out or through (unless you mod your beats 8)).

TDLR: midi syncing the MB will give you more flexibility, and it is more than likely a hardware limitation that makes the advanced timing options unavailable when syncing via gate.

ishdag

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:20:53 am »
Yes from what else I've seen I don't think it is possible using just the two items, specifically with the volca. I was thinking about modding the volca and this confirms it. Seems much simpler to just add the midi-out than having to deal with all of the workarounds.

Thanks

chysn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:48:06 pm »
I have a lot more success going from Gate Out of my MicroBrute to Sync In of the Volca Beats.

I have my Sequencer Step set to 1/8, and I set Sequencer Play to "Hold." As was mentioned before, the Volca will play two steps every time gate voltage goes high, so the MicroBrute's Sequencer Step really doesn't do anything but select the range of the Sequencer Rate knob.

I had difficulty syncing the other way (from the Volca to the MicroBrute) because I'm more likely to stop the Volca than to stop the MicroBrute's sequencer. Also, to go from Volca to MicroBrute, you need to set the Sequencer Step On to "Gate," which makes just playing around with the MicroBrute by itself difficult.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines