March 29, 2024, 12:15:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LOST MicroBrute MIDI CONNECTION WHEN DAW RELEASES DRIVER  (Read 3012 times)

arturiadontbug

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
LOST MicroBrute MIDI CONNECTION WHEN DAW RELEASES DRIVER
« on: May 23, 2014, 01:29:41 am »
Reposting on tech board instead of general...

When using a DAW that releases your soundcard driver when inactive (ie, Reaper does this by default -- the first item here: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Preferences_Audio) the MicroBrute loses its MIDI connection and doesn't respond to any incoming MIDI. Only power cycling the MicroBrute or restarting the DAW fixes this. Since I like to give my CPU a breather when I take breaks without closing my project, having to turn off/on the MicroBrute is annoying. I've haven't had this issue with other MIDI devices, so I'm thinking that the MicroBrute is the culprit here. This happens both for the USB and 5-pin MIDI connections.

Any chance this can be updated in a firmware fix?

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: LOST MicroBrute MIDI CONNECTION WHEN DAW RELEASES DRIVER
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:59:11 am »
Hmmm... this gets me thinking ... I use Reason 7 with the MIDI clock synced to the MicroBrute via a Focusrite Saffire Pro interface. I've had sync-drop problems from the very beginning though I didn't have any idea what causes this to happen. Now, after reading your story @arturiadontbug, I think it's the idle time, when Reason is not playing any song..... like when you discuss this and that in between songs, for 10-15 minutes, during rehearsals... if memory serves right, the sync-drop always happened during these inactive periods and never while playing... . played one song, sync was OK, had a 10-15 minute break, started to play the next song, sync is gone.... When this happens I usually have to restart Reason and the MB as well.... powercycling the synth alone doesn't always seem to work... Anyways, I'll be testing sync in continous play-mode and hope to have satisfactory results.. if so, I'll be half-happy and maybe stop worrying about the "out-of-sync in the middle of a live performance" nightmare that's been haunting me since sync dropped the first time. True relief will only come if this issue gets fixed by Arturia with a firmware update.

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:09:39 pm »
On a second thought: I have checked the settings in Reason and found that the DAW is sending MIDI clock all the time and this includes idle time, that is, when the sequencer is stopped.
Also, Reason never releases the external audio interface as long as it's open and running (foreground and background, doesn't matter..).
This brings me to the original conclusion: it's the MicroBrute's firmware (probably) that causes the MIDI clock issues. Hope this gets sorted out very soon.

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:51:47 pm »
Final conclusion and decision: the MicroBrute is now officially out of my setup. After the repeated sync-loss issues (we've been rehearsing for a gig due later this week...) the original idea was that I'd not use the MicroBr. in live setups but I'm so frickin' pissed about the ridiculous instability issues I've had since the very beginning that I decided that this piece of gear has to go for good. I've had enough, I'm sorry. And I have a MicroBrute for sale.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines