March 28, 2024, 03:46:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Song Chains Suggestion: Selection = "next" sequence, click to play sequence.  (Read 1536 times)

bijalba

The idea of song chains is great, but I would like to be able to have more than 16 maximum chains. I think this is doable easily via "subchains."

This function nearly exists now:
When playing, if at the bottom of a chain, the blue light at the bottom will move telling you which chain is "next" ... A8 will go to A9. When it is on A7 the blue is on column 1, but when it hits a8 it shows you column 2 as blue. Thus, blue = next.

However, if you click a sequence, it *will not* start playing that one, yet it is selected as blue.

For example, after clicking on B6, my expectation would be that after A14 is finished, it will go to B6.

This will also allow you to click any sequence, and start a song at that position in a chain, or jump to that position in any chain.

This effectively takes you from the maximum of 16 chains, to 128 possible chains assuming all 16 strips are linked and you can start anywhere.

For example, I might have a single chain of A1 A2 A3 A4 and another for A1 A2 A3 A5. In order to accomplish this, I have to eat up 2 of the 16 chain slots, rather than having a single strip for A1A2A3A4 A1A2A3A5. Etc.

It should probably use some sort of function key when selected so that clicking to drag/move doesn't jump to that section in the song as well. thanks.

Seb

• Tech-Support
Hi bijalba,

I am not sure I fully understand what you are suggesting.
For example, I might have a single chain of A1 A2 A3 A4 and another for A1 A2 A3 A5. In order to accomplish this, I have to eat up 2 of the 16 chain slots, rather than having a single strip for A1A2A3A4 A1A2A3A5. Etc.

If you use a single strip with  A1A2A3A4 A1A2A3A5, it will play this entire chain and loop it.
If you use two chains, with  A1A2A3A4 - and - A1A2A3A5, you will be able to loop only A1A2A3A4  or only A1A2A3A5.

Even if we allowed to start playing from the middle of the sequence, you would be able to play A1A2A3A5 but then it would go back to the beginning of the chain, so you would get :
A1A2A3A5->*back to chain beginning*A1A2A3A4A1A2A3A5->*loop back*

The reasons why we don't let users start from the middle of a chain are :
- As you said, clicking on a pattern inside a chain is used for selection, so that you can copy, drag, erase patterns
- It would not be compatible with the hardware workflow, where you only have access to 16 steps which correspond to the 16 chains.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Seb.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines