March 28, 2024, 04:08:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Who wants a Beatstep XL/Pro?  (Read 3389 times)

jsmirk

Who wants a Beatstep XL/Pro?
« on: July 15, 2014, 10:55:35 pm »
While I'm sure that Arturia have already made their own plans for the Beatstep, I would love to see a second XL/Pro model that expands the sequencer length and possibly adds some onboard functions that have been made available in the current Beatstep via firmware. I love the Beatstep concept and think that expanding its capabilities while keeping it as a pure sequencer-controller would be a huge win.

Beatstep Pro/XL
  • 32 step sequencer - 4 rows of 8 pads
  • 32 knobs - 4 rows of 8 knobs (might be overkill and a "1-16/17-32" toggle is better)
  • Single dedicated Accent modifier button
  • Dedicated Gate/Swing knob(s)
  • Smallest possible backlit LCD showing parameter name & value being changed
  • Pads could be slightly smaller to reduce footprint/cost

I would think the market could bear a range of $169-219 US for such a device.

mantrak

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Who wants a Beatstep XL/Pro?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:06:05 pm »
Yeah, maybe a bit different spec:

- Three CV outs (pitch, filter, amp)
- XOX style accent and slur (legato)
- Key transpose from midi (this one can and should be done already!)

I could live with 16 steps because longer sequences are impossible to manage with step sequencer. The whole idea of step sequencer is to play live by looping short simple sequences. Once you want complex, pre-meditated sequences you are in the DAW territory.

Atarikid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:06:52 pm »
MEEEEE! :)

I would pay a bit more for a pro version of the beatstep (i really love). Midi-in and more CV-Outs would be fantastic. Tab Tempo 4tw!

woodster77

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:55:45 pm »
polyphonic sequencing.
a LOT more CV outs preferably 8 stereo jacks (gate L/cv R) or whatever
Step dependant velocity and gate and glide
More Clock Divisions  and the ability to control over midi
CV and Clock in in as well

syrupcore

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »
You're right. They hit on something here and I'm looking forward to them expanding upon it. Price is a factor — it wouldn't be as popular at $200 but considering how much they crammed into this at $100, I'd love to see what the engineering and design team could do with twice the money.

I could easily live without the LCD though visual feedback in a world of endless knobs would be great. Two 8-segment LEDs would be enough to communicate values and pitch. Add a corner dot for anything over 100 and another for negative values.

I like the 32 pads and 32 knobs for sure! But a shift button would work fine for me on the knobs, pads too actually. 16 knobs isn't enough to control most soft synths these days. Happily the BeatStep makes it dead easy/fast to switch presets. Just used two presets last night to cover most of Arturia's iSem.

Would also love the ability to turn the new 32 steps into either a 32 step monophonic sequencer or a 16 step duophonic sequencer. I realize that would necessitate another CV pair for hardware but it could be a MIDI only feature (though I'd take a second CV pair in a heartbeat... depending on cost).

For a pro model, I'd rather have a 'levels' mode in the sequencer vs single accents;  adjusting the knobs would adjust velocity of each step. Hmm... this could be extended to other CC values.

Dedicated transpose button/mode. Transpose sequences using the pads instead of the dial: add note labels to 12 of the pads, hold transpose and tap a pad to jump to that note. Add octave up/down labels to two of the remaining four pads. MIDI control too please!

+1 for MIDI IN in the XL model. I'd like to make the beatstep a slave without needing to use USB. I'd also like to be able to utilize the CV action from my hardware sequencer, most of which only have 5din out, not USB.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the encoders split up between a set of smooth fixed throw and a set of notched endless.

Oh hell, as long as I'm dreaming...how about a song mode? A special sequence (or maybe sequence 16/32) where each pad is a step in the song. Instead of the corresponding knob changing the pitch of each step, the knob selects the sequence preset. :)

pmwm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:46:36 am »
+ 1

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines