March 29, 2024, 04:02:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark Sample Volume Workaround  (Read 3015 times)

jsmirk

Spark Sample Volume Workaround
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:27 am »
I create sample-based kits and noticed that a sample's volume in Spark is about half the native volume. As noted in another forum topic, this is a known issue with the either the built-in sampler module, or as I may have discovered, partly the default modular patch that Spark creates.  Please see the attached screenshot of the patch I am using.  I am not a modular guy, so I can't say whether this is set up intelligently, but regardless, it works for me.  At maximum velocity, my samples now play at about -5db compared to the native sample volume in Logic Pro X. (I have to drop the fader on the native sample 5db to match the output). This is MUCH better and it is a volume I can actually work with both for production and performance. I have also included a Spark preset that contains 16 empty sample instruments that are all set up with this modular patch. This has saved me tons of time figuring out volume! Give it a try, I hope it works for you too!

alandiaco

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Spark Sample Volume Workaround
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »
Ao, if I get this right, the only thing you changed was routing the pads velocity to the output amplification modulation?

jsmirk

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:31 pm »
Basically, yes.  I removed the bodshift modules as well. My goal was to simply have very straight forward drag and drop sample kit.  This configuration seems to provide a proper level of gain (it is working well in my DAW as well as standalone) when the sample is set to 0db in the mixer and velocity is 127 (loud, but not clipping), but I suspect that Arturia may eventually change the default gain of the sampler module at some point.

alandiaco

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:27:20 pm »
Thanks man! I'll try it out today. You're a lifesaver if this works =)

jsmirk

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:05:42 pm »
I hope so too. It has already saved my life. I've been able to create my kits with consistent volume and work with Spark and SparkLE in my productions with as little "setup" as possible. It really speeds up my drum programming. I noticed that many of the built in kits have all kinds of compression and limiting - I just want the samples to play normally, maybe some minor volume tweaks to balance things out, and then mix and arrange the patterns in my DAW.

Seb

• Tech-Support
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »
I think you can assign velocity and still retain the volume boost. The bode shifter is what causes the volume reduction.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines