March 28, 2024, 09:46:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SparkLE SysEx and more  (Read 2194 times)

mister_variable

SparkLE SysEx and more
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:03:25 am »
Heya! 

I found a SparkLE with manual and install disc - I'm assuming I won't be able to authorize with the serial/activation included (because someone else already installed it etc)..  that's ok, as I will continue using it in demo mode until I can't take it any longer, break down and buy the software.

Excuse my lack of understanding, I have been having a hard time differentiating between "Spark" hardware and "Spark" software etc.. (seems like the two should never be separated?)

After lurking around on your FTP, I downloaded several things related to Spark/SparkLE. The software has been a bit of a pain, but I'm beginning to get the hang of it.  It definitely crashes more than I'd like.. however I really like the look and feel of the hardware. 

From the "About Spark" screen:

Spark 1.6.1 Build 157 (rev: d6868dc) 64 bit
Controller Version: 1.0.0.3
Build Date: Mar 22 2013 01:26:07

I have a ton of questions:

1.  Is this controller too old for the version of Spark I'm using?  There are buttons and knobs in the software that are not on my unit.
2.  Is that contributing to crashes?  (It really doesn't like it when I change pattern length/Follow mode etc)
3.  Is there any way I can toggle the hardware LEDs with MIDI/SysEx messages??  I would love to experiment with this controller in Max/MSP and more..
4.  Is there a SysEx message guide/map/list/anything that is available to the public?  (I would LOVE that.)

(or if you send it to me privately, I promise I won't share it with anyone..)

Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks.

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: SparkLE SysEx and more
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:56:44 pm »
Hi,

The controller can be used in 2 modes:
- Spark mode: for that please use Spark 2 software. This is the most up to date software and is compatible with that controller.
- MIDI controller mode: to control anything else than Spark software. For that, please use the Unified MIDI Control Center. You can choose the messages sent by the controls (pads, buttons including LEDs, knobs...)

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/Spark2/resources.html

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

mister_variable

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:28:04 am »
Kevin!  Thanks for the response.  You should know that I carry my SparkLE in my backpack at all times - very handy..

I have spent much time with the Unified MIDI Control Center software.

I'm curious about sending data TO the SparkLE from custom software - I have been using Max/MSP to create simple MIDI sequencers etc..  Is it at all possible for the average "tinkerer" to change the status of a pad/button light?  Let's say I wanted to (for no reason other than my own entertainment) make a script to control the SparkLE LEDs, causing them to flash in a predefined sequence - is that a possibility? (I mean, I know it's possible for Arturia to do it, but can I?)

Thanks a ton.

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:13:18 am »
Yes, it is possible when SparkLE is in MIDI mode.
You just have to send the Note number associated to the note number.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

raztua

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:20:14 pm »
hi mister variable,
i have been tweaking ableton to get the spark working the way i wanted a few mounth ago, unfortunately i never had the time to finish the script.

i dont have my spark with me today so i may be wrong but this is how i remember spark works :

If you are in spark mode :
    -each buttun is a work a button element with his own height ( you can find a table here https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=200513 if you download the script and open the file Consts.py)
above you will find a extract of the discution focusing on midi messages :

You can find more precise information about midi messages here :http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php
My sparkle surface uses only midi note message to "talk" with the computer, ( it uses sysex too but i will not talk about this).
Midi notes messages hare a tuple of 3 integer.
for exemple (144,60,100) the key C3 ( value 60 ) is pressed (value 144 ) on the channel 0 vith a velocity of 100
the first integer have two information : a key is pressed (note on message is 144) on the channel 1 (channels are labelled from 0 to 15)
144+0=144
if I want to send a note off message for the C3 on the channel 2 key ill send the tuple ( 128+1=129, 60, 0 )

If you are in midi mode :
when you press a key it turn led on and off ( this is what you dont want if you want to make a max script, because You want to send the turn on turn off message when you want ). Moreover writing a script in midi mode would force users to use your template

Sorry for my english, so feel free if you want a bt more enlightments.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines