April 24, 2024, 08:05:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Yamaha MX49 incompatible with BeatStep?  (Read 1656 times)

JoeShiner

Yamaha MX49 incompatible with BeatStep?
« on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:20 am »
I've just bought the Arturia BeatStep, intending to use it primarily with my Yamaha MX49.  But when I got it home and hooked it up, nothing happened at all - no lights, no operation, nothing.  I had hooked it up with the 7 inch (approx.) long dongle that's miniplug on one end (to go into the BeatStep "MIDI out") and MIDI female plug on the other end, and plugged a MIDI cord into the MIDI end of the dongle and the other end into the "MIDI in" on the MX49.  WIth that having produced nothing, I tried hooking up the USB cord (supplied with BeatStep) from the mini-USB socket on the BeatStep, and plugged the other end into the USB "To Device" socket on the MX49 (not that that would make sense), in case the BS needed to be powered via USB, and all hecka lights when on and off all over the BS, but the screen on the MX49 said "Incompatible USB device."  And, of course, no sound or operation.  What's happening?  Am I missing something?  By far, most of my other synths are quite old, whereas the MX49 is brand-new, so I'm more expecting *them* not to work with the BS instead of my new MX49 - my only other relatively new synth is the Novation Xio 25, which only has MIDI out (a poor design decision, IMO, but irrelevant here).  I will try my Karma, E4K/eSynth, and Ensoniq SDP-1, but really want the MX49 to work with the BS!  Can anyone help?

dog01

Re: Yamaha MX49 incompatible with BeatStep?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 03:41:40 am »
Hi Joeshiner the beatstep is usb power and the usb is it midi in so if you want to use it with the MX49 you have to use the midi out of beatstep into the midid in of your MX49 or what ever you devices you want to control  but you must have the beatstep plug in to either a usb port on your computer an ipad or a ac to usb adapter to your mains to power it hope that helps regards dog01

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines