April 18, 2024, 08:05:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Initial thoughts  (Read 3024 times)

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
Beatstep Initial thoughts
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:56:27 pm »
Just got hold of one this week finally and I absolutely love it, haven't really played with the sequencer, but as Pads and Knobs it's great. I can see the knob action takes some getting used to but I like having the fine control. The Pads feel good and work well as CC triggers, I've set up a patch for dubbing the RS7000 this way with FX send and LFO Speed triggers which has added a new world of fun. It's great fun for drumming it has a really nice weight to it when sat on your knee.

As always though I do have some requests:

It would be great to be able to use the aftertouch as a CC controller instead, I don't see a way of doing that in the control center, I sort of presumed it would. Maybe it isn't possible to implement but to have 16 pressure CC controls would be a very good feature.

The only other thing I'd like is a transpose button for the pads when used as notes so it can be used more like a keyboard, at the moment I've used 4 presets to cover the range each starting on the next C up. Not essential but would be great, and if you think about a custom mapping for drums transposed up an octave it would instantly give you access to the next set of sounds with hardware such as EMUs etc... where there is often another kit with the same mapping.

Yep a very nice solid box

syrupcore

Re: Beatstep Initial thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:03:30 pm »
With the newest firmware, you can transpose the pads with the dial. Up to two octaves in either direction I believe. Not as clean as a dedicated octave jump button but it works. I use it for exactly the purpose you've described (getting to more drum kits in BeatMaker)

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:36:38 pm »
Thanks for that, very handy to know! If there was an octave mode that would be even better though :)

Green

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »
I have the same need using NI Battery for which I should transpose between 3 or 4 octaves.
I haven't try the idea of custom presets configured to perform the desired pitch range, but I think that it is a good idea to resolve this issue and thanks to Kosmology for this.

My proposal is to have a new option field by which is possible to set if the parameter +1, +2, ... , + 12 (actually "Overall Transpose") is referred to a semi-tone, tone or octave.

What do you think about?

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:01:38 pm »
Well to be honest if there was an octave as well as the existing note transpose I would be happy, I would like to see SHIFT+P9 = Octave Up/Down or something similar :)

syrupcore

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:33 pm »
Well to be honest if there was an octave as well as the existing note transpose I would be happy, I would like to see SHIFT+P9 = Octave Up/Down or something similar :)

Yes, this.

I'd like to see (in CNTRL mode at least) something like:
Shift plus pads 1-12 = transpose by that many steps.
Shift plus (? chan) plus pads 1-12 = transpose down by that many steps.
Shift plus 13 = down an octave
Shift plus 14 = up an octave

Having quick fixed interval jumps would of course be very handy/musical in sequence mode as well. Those particular combos wouldn't work though.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines