March 29, 2024, 01:08:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Analog/digital, food for thought and debate  (Read 1263 times)

channel0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • people who play live life to the fullest
Analog/digital, food for thought and debate
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:59:17 pm »
Hi folks,
got this article from sonic state http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/09/03/evolution-or-revolution/
discussing the ways hardware/software in synths is moving these days and years.
Maybe there is room for discussions/opinions in this forum since Arturia does both...
best regards,
Peter
Arturia Laboratory 61 AE, V-collection 6, Beatstep, Beatstep Pro, Drumbrute, Bitwig2.1, windows 10

Ian Lawson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Analog/digital, food for thought and debate
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:00:32 am »
Good article.  It reflects what's been on my mind, since first acquiring a VST synth just weeks ago, and at the same time enjoying the resurgence of analog synthesizers.  When I was in high school in the 70's, everything was analogue.  I kind of missed the 80s and 90s with the rise of computers and VSTs (getting university degrees, starting a family, etc.), but looking back, I think the excitement of going digital was overrated.  More and more digital things (including all our computers and iOS devices today) must still be converted to analogue to get the sound they deserve.  Running an analogue synth into your analogue sound system just sounds right.  The digital world, however, lets all of us enjoy a huge number of instruments without spending a lot of money and filling up a room.  I am therefore very interested in making analogue instruments work together with VST synths, which is truly evolution instead of revolution.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines