MatrixBrute - General Questions
To do that, hold the destination button 13, 14, 15 or 16 and press/tweak the control of your choice. The screen should then update and display the name of the control assigned.
More details about how to proceed on this video: Assign custom modulation destinations
The few controls that cannot be assigned are the following:
- Phone Volume
- Master Volume
- Sequencer Rate
- Sequencer Swing
- Sequencer Gate Lenght
This is very simple, as any other parameter, this can be done through the Modulation Matrix, from the following sources:
- Exp 1 / M3
- Exp 2 / M4
The Macro 1 & Macro 2 are sharing the same lines than the expression pedals 1 & 2.
If expressions pedals are plugged, the corresponding macro knobs will define their minimum value.
On the Modulation Matrix, set the "Seq Mod" source to one or several destinations and set a modulation amount on each assigned parameter.
For the accent, do the same from the velocity to the destination(s) of your choice.
Then, on the Sequencer view, you can set for each step:
- Modulation On/Off: To do that, press the corresponding step Mod button
- A modulation amount: Press record > Press a step or use the Seq arrows to select a step > Set the modulation amount to your convenience with the Modulation knob..
- Accent On/Off: To set an accent on a step, press the corresponding step Accent button.
If you need a more detailed explanation about this feature, please check this video: The Modulation Track
Tip: In record mode, pressing a step on the sequencer will trigger it, and allow to hear the modulation applied to this step in real time.
These modes changes the behaviour of the potentiometers when their virtual and real position differs.
Jump: On turn, the value of the parameter will instantly jump from the potentiometer virtual position, to it's real position.
Hook: The knob has no effect on the parameter value until it reaches it's virtual position.
Scaled: The knob has influence on the value in all positions, but it's speed is compensated in order to reach the value of the parameter smoothly.
More information about these modes on the following video, accompanied with explanations and animations to help you understand how it works: The potentiometers modes
Firmware updates may come in the future in order to add new functions and bring various improvements to your MatrixBrute.
/!\ To proceed the firmware update, the unit must be plugged directly to your computer, do not use a USB HUB /!\
The MatrixBrute firmware update is composed of two main steps.
- Update the Master Board
- Update the Sub-Boards
Once you clicked on it, a pop-up will appear, offering three possibilities:
- Update: From the firmware you already downloaded from here. (If you want to get back to a previous firmware build for example)
- Download latest: To download the latest firmware available directly from the Midi Control Center.
- Cancel: If you don't want to update your firmware now.
1/ After clicking on "Update", the firmware loading will start. This first step will update your mainboard.
Once it has started, do not touch your MatrixBrute until the end of the loading.
- You will be asked to reboot the MatrixBrute, and wait 5 seconds minimum before to click the OK button.
- Click on the OK button will start the second firmware update.
Once again, do not touch the MatrixBrute until the end of the loading.
When the second loading has finished, your sub-boards firmware will be updated.
From now, all what you have to do is rebooting your MatrixBrute and start enjoying it !
Don't worry, your synth must be in DFU mode. (Firmware update mode)
To get out of this mode, here is how to proceed:
- Turn off the MatrixBrute
- Plug MatrixBrute USB on your computer (Do not use a USB HUB)
- Launch MIDI Control Center and select the MatrixBrute in the device section.
- Power ON the MatrixBrute and immediately toggle the Audio Gate switch ON/OFF about 6-8 times.
- After around 5 seconds, the following message should be prompted on the MIDI Control Center: "Device is in Bootloader mode, please upgrade firmware"
- Select Upgrade (Not Download Latest)
- Locate the firmware file. It can be downloaded from this page: https://www.arturia.com/products/matrixbrute/resources
- Carefully follow the firmware update instructions
- The upgrade should now perform correctly
(In case you failed a firmware upgrade, you may have to remove the "Matrixbrute" + "Updater" from your Midi Studio (Mac) or Windows device manager (Win) and proceed the firmware upgrade again.)
To manage your presets or configure and edit your Matrixbrute settings, please use the Midi Control Center.
Available here: MatrixBrute Ressources
If your curiosity is not yet satisfied, most of your questions may also be answered in the MatrixBrute video series available on this page: MatrixBrute Medias & Videos