Analog masterpiece revisited
Accurately recreating the tone, waveshapes, multimode 12dB/octave filter and other detailed characteristics, SEM V delivers all the deep analog sounds that made its grand ancestor so unique and praised. Our voice programmer mode allows you to recreate the sound of the huge and rare 8 Voice.
While the SEM was a great synth, we wanted to make it even better.
We added new innovations like the sub-oscillator for deep basses. A second LFO with more waveforms, and the modulation matrix greatly expands the sonic capabilities of the SEM. Add to this the arpeggiator and Key Follow modulator and you get one super powered synth.
Arturia has done it again! I am proud to be a part of the beta testing for the Oberheim SEM V... the original SEM was one of my first and favorite synths. Arturia has nailed it ...plus polyphony without the tuning nightmare. What more can you ask for?Steve Lindsey
( Producer - Composer )
The return of the unknown classic! I used 2 of these SEM modules (salvaged from an 8 voice) virtually every working day between 1992 and 2005 in my studio. If i wanted a pulsey seq or arpegio type riff this was THE synth. Cuts through a mix great and like nothing else BUT VIRTUALLY NO ONE KNEW THESE LITTLE SYNTHS!!! (clients referred to them as "the white lads") An absolute classic that i am extremely glad has been virtualised and a true asset to anyones sonic arsenal.Roger Lyons
( Producer - Composer )
Analogue warmth & movement abound in the unique multimode filter found on the SEM and I'm happy to say that this has been faithfully recreated on the Arturia version of this venerable classic analogue module. The front panel of the SEM always had a beautiful simplicity to it that made creating your own sounds a breeze and the subtle additions that Arturia have made to this are well thought out and in keeping with the sound of this timeless classic synth.Ian Boddy
( Producer - Composer )
We have been using Arturia's instruments for quite a while now and it`s an excellent addition to our work. Their new Analog Laboratory is a very effective unit especially in combination with the original soft synths.Dr. Richard
( Kruder & Dorfmeister )
The Oberheim SEM V has a simplicity and elegance that was a feature of many 70’s synths. Arturia have managed to replicate these qualities as well as adding some very cool innovations to the original design. The 8 Voice programmer module in particular is a joy to use especially in combination with the arpeggiator, delivering beautifully evolving sequences and pulsating arps. A true classic in my opinion.Brendan Perry
( Dead Can Dance )
This musical piece is in memory of the brilliant Synth DIY Engineer/Musician Jürgen Haible.
This demo, in the fashion of 70's krautrock improvisations, shows typical Oberheim orchestral sounds generated only by one instance of 8 voices. The output is processed through the on-board overdrive and analog delay units to generate the typical dirtines
This track, in the techno vein, uses 3 different presets from the Oberheim SEMV: a classic acid bass line, a smooth arpeggiated melody and a full, rich pad using the SEMV's hard synced oscillator. All drums/percussion were created using the 909 preset in
This rich pad mixes a sawtooth with pitch modulation and pulse wave with pulse width modulation. You can hear the characteristic SEM filter sweep through band-pass, low pass, notch and hi-pass modes.
All sounds from this cinematic track come from the factory presets by Kevin Lamb. No external FX or channel EQ were used. Mod wheel and aftertouch used amply to morph sounds and show off features.
The Arpeggiator is used in combination with the 8-Voice Programmer module in order to create this lively and organic arpeggio. The continuous shift from one voice to another, through different settings of filter, tune, pan and volume generates a beautiful
- All the original parameters of the Oberheim SEM : two oscillators, each offering sawtooth wave and variable-width pulse wave with PWM, sine wave LFO, 12dB/oct multi-mode Filter with low-pass, high-pass, band-pass and notch, two ADS envelope generators.
- Added functionalities : New LFO, Noise, Sub oscillator, on board effects (overdrive, chorus and delay), Arpeggiator, Portamento.
- Polyphony up to 32 and 8 Voice Multitimbrality
- New 8 Voice Programmer module
- Advanced Keyboard Follow module
- Modulation Matrix module
- Works in Standalone
- Now compatible with iSEM Preset export/import
- Polyphony parameter to limit the polyphony of the plugin
- 20 new factory presets from Ian Boddy
- 21 new factory presets from Erik Norlander
- 35 new factory presets from Richard Courtel
- 11 new factory presets from Kevin Lamb
- 14 new factory presets from Drew Newmann
- "Forward Retrigg" mode for the 8-Voice Programmer (for easy use of sequences using the Arpeggiator)
- "Reassign" mode for the 8-Voice Programmer (like in the original one, the SEM V will first use the boards that are not gated in its voice assignment)
- Sustain pedal is now active on all systems